© Steve Bloom - African portraits
The 2013 festival will take place during the 2013 Travel Photographer of the Year exhibition at the Royal Geographical Society so you'll be able to see the stunning photographs as well as learn about photography at Travel Photography Live. Details will be published here soon but to give you a flavour of Travel Photography Live read about the 2012 event below....
What is Travel Photography Live!?
It's a highly interactive and informative festival of photography, giving you a chance to meet and learn from leading photographers and speakers in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere at London's Royal Geographical Society (with IBG). The festival programme has talks by renowned photographers, covering a range of photographic styles and genres, who are engaging speakers, passionate about photography and enthusiastic about sharing their knowledge.
In the talks and workshops these speakers will share both their technical and creative approaches, with question and answer sessions at the end of each talk so that you can get involved. Many of the speakers will also be on hand during the intervals to talk and interact with the audience.
© Chris Weston
In 2012 we kicked off in style with keynote lectures in the Society’s magnificent Ondaatje Theatre by renowned wildlife and travel photographer, Steve Bloom, and acclaimed photojournalist and film maker, Nick Danziger. This was followed by two action-packed days, where photography lovers were spoilt for choice, with talks and workshops going on throughout the Society.
In addition to the timetabled sessions, there was a drop in equipment and photography advice centre, digital imaging centre, an exhibition of images from the Travel Photographer of the Year awards and one-to-one critiques so that visitors could learn how to improve their own photographs. We even had tea, coffee and cupcakes plus a 'pop-up' shop selling books, cards or prints.
Jason Hawkes image on the front cover of National Geographic magazine
Who spoke in 2012?
An Evening with Steve Bloom & Nick Danziger
Steve Bloom takes you on a photographic journey from his early work in documentary photography to his award winning wildlife and travel images. Renowned photojournalist and film maker, Nick Danziger, takes you around the world in 80 images.
- Aerial photographer, Jason Hawkes, looks the world from a different perspective through his photography
- Tom Mackie looks at composition and creating impact
- Nick Danziger gives a workshop on thinking before shooting
- Expedition photographer and adventurer, Martin Hartley, looks at photography in some of the hottest and coldest places on the planet
- How do you make money from photography? Colin Finlay sheds some light on making photography pay
- Chris Weston looks at the role of wildlife photography in his work with endangered species
- American fine art and stock photographer, Mark Edward Harris, talks about the art of travel photography, the photo essay and creating a photo book
- Shooting HD video on a DSLR takes the photographer into new areas. Photographer and TV cameraman, Jeremy Hoare, takes you through the techniques you'll need, with director/producer, Guy Caplin
- One-to-one critiques, digital imaging Q&A, photography advice centre
© Chris Coe
- BBC Human Planet photographer, Timothy Allen thinks travel photography is dead! Or does he?
- Philip Lee Harvey talks about life on the road as an editorial and advertising photographer
- Craig Easton shot many images of the UK to promote the London Olympics. In this workshop he looks at photography in Britain
- How do you shoot winning images and what makes a image stand out? Wildlife Photographer of the Year judge, Colin Finlay, looks at winning images with photographer and TPOTY judge, Nick Meers
- Blogging and social media are part of everyday life but how can photographers use them? Travel blogger, Abi King, discusses photography in blogging with photographers, Chris Coe & Martin Hartley
- Travel has always been at the heart of photography so Nick Meers takes you on a journey through this changing world of the camera and the image
- Award winning news, sports photographer and Guardian picture editor, Eamonn McCabe, examines photography and the art of editing
- Photographer, Chris Coe, talks about photographic technique, composition and creativity
- Photography is about light, as you'll discover as Jeremy Hoare lights the way to Holywood
- One-to-one critiques, digital imaging workshops, photography advice centre
Where is the Royal Geographical Society? Click for map and directions
If you have any questions about Travel Photography Live! please call the TPOTY office - tel: +44 (0)1728 669185 or email: Festival enquiries & bookings
Refund policy: Refunds on purchased ticket will only be made 7 days or prior to each festival da and will be subject to a transaction fee. No refunds will be made within 7 days of the date on the ticket.